For Rental Assistance CLICK HERE.
For other COVID-19 related operational changes, view our blog post.


We can help!

Do you need help to catch up on past-due utility bills? Are you in a shut-off crisis? Would you like more affordable utility bill payments?


We can help both homeowners and renters!


CHN is a HEAP, PIPPPLUS and Winter/Summer assistance site. We also offer assistance for customers of First Energy, Cleveland Division of Water and Northeast Ohio Regional Sewer District.


For everyone’s protection, we are not conducting face to face appointments at this time.  Instead of going into an agency, a HEAP Intake Specialist will contact you on the day and time of your appointment. Your appointment will be conducted by phone, or video conference. See below for information on how to schedule an appointment.

Electric and Gas Bills (HEAP and PIPP)

We are a PIPP and Winter/Summer HEAP site. You can get an affordable monthly payment plan for electric or gas anytime throughout the year. Financial assistance for electric or gas is only provided during the following time periods:  

  • Dominion or Columbia (gas):
    Nov 1 - March 31 
  • Cleveland Public Power (electric):
    July 1 - August 31 
    November 1 - March 1 
  • The Illuminating Co. (electric)

How to schedule HEAP/PIPP appointment:

  • Appointments are available. Please call 216-350-8008 to schedule. 
  • You will be instructed on how to submit required documentation. Required documents must be submitted not later than 3 days prior to the date of your appointment, or you may be asked to reschedule. 
  • Your appointment will be conducted by phone, or video conference. Instead of going into an agency, you will be called by a HEAP Intake Specialist on the date and time of your appointment. 
  • To avoid appointment delays, the telephone number you provide when scheduling must be a working number and one that you may be reached at to conduct your telephone interview. 
  • Document upload information and instructions may be found online The online system is quick and easy to use.  You may even prefer to use the online scheduler to make your appointment.  If you are unable to use the online system to submit your application documents, you may submit one of the following ways: 
    • CHN Utility Assistance Drop Box (near Suite 134)
      • 2999 Payne Ave, Cleveland, OH 44114. Please do not drop originals. 
    • Fax: 216-912-0700 
      • On cover page, please indicate "HEAP Department" as intended receiver 
      • If you already have an appointment, please also include your confirmation number on cover page 

HEAP/PIPP Reverification

Only need to reverify? If you are currently enrolled in PIPP and do not have a disconnection notice on your utility bills, you can reverify online OR by bringing your application and documents to a CHN site.  (Please see instructions for dropping off documents during COVID above.)


Please note: A completed application form must accompany other required documents in order for us to process your reverification. Application forms are available near the elevator on the ground floor at our main office at 2999 Payne Ave. 

Water/Sewer Discounts and Assistance Programs

Sewer Crisis Program

This program provides a one-time payment on your sewer bill.  To qualify you must have a disconnection notice. You can qualify for a maximum payment of $300 or ½ of your bill, whichever is less.   


If you are not the homeowner, you must show that you are responsible for paying the bill.  You can provide a lease that notes your responsibility for paying water and sewer, you can show your name is one the bill, or you can show proof that you made payments on the bills for the last 3 consecutive months. 

Affordability Program

This program is available for both water and sewer bills.  You must qualify by income and be a homeowner.  Upon qualifying, you will receive a monthly discount on your bill for one full year.  Each year, you will be required to reverify your income and will then be eligible for another year. 

Have questions or want to apply for water/sewer discounts?

For water and sewer questions, call 216-774-2349 or toll free at 888-901-1222.

All programs require annual income re-verification. You can mail (or drop off) your reverification documents at 2999 Payne Avenue, near Suite 134. We need your most current gas and electric bills, water and sewer (if you’re responsible for paying them), proof of past 30 days of income for everyone in the household, social security cards for all household members and your photo ID. Free parking is available.

Hear from others who used this service!

woman sitting down at a dining table looking at bills spread out on the table
"With the money I saved on my gas bills, I replaced my energy-draining 45-year old freezer ...and I've been doing a jig ever since."
- Carolyn P.